Saturday, June 11, 2005

saturday june 11

graduation party at an asian restaurant
came home, went for a hike with uncle julio at eagle pass.
went to another graduation party and met a bunch of my mom's friends from the philipines
another party
another party, this one mostly kids graduating age.

my people have been through a lot in the transition from the philipines to america.

i was very impressed at how active my relatives are in their kid's lives. my parents were not at all. they barely knew my friends and certainly didn't know my friend's families. nor did they throw graduation parties. or the like. i wonder what this means to me.

it got me thinking about what it means to take care of one's selfs when we, in fact, live in a giant village of codependence.

i suddenly feel at a loss for never having a family active in my social life. as i think back, the only time i ever saw my friends and family meet away from my home was at orchestra concerts or plays. and that's it.

taking care of two younger sisters was a terrible responsibility to place on an 8 year old.
"don't open the door for anyone."

seems like i ate all day.

No comments: