Tuesday, June 07, 2005

training

the pacific performance project workshop/summer intensive kicked off last night. and i started my process for teaching training. i love training. and as part of bodywork, i know this is what i want to do. i should add that when i say "training," i am refering to suzuki method of actor physical training. however, steve, robyn, peter and cathy have evolved the method into it's current hybrid/incarnation of "physical approaches to acting." so this month-long workshop is the best next step for me.

going to the theatre and being around actors as i have for the last few weeks has been a wonderful gift to myself. i've become so deeply entrenched in the corporate/job drudgery, i forgot the reasons i was there altogether, which are: 1) to build a small savings for financial stability and 2) to develop skills to help me run a theatre and/or university theatre department. i am on my way to both, but at what expense? my artistic soul? (forgive the nature of that question.) my human soul?

i'm anxious to see where these next few weeks and months take me, but i sense the need to have a larger impact (WITHIN the theatre) rumbling deep inside.

for most of you, this will be a shock, but i have found my way into appreciating competitive sports. as my body is shocked into remembering how difficult it is learning the training forms, i find rediscover my sense of mind/body and a feel a certain kinship with anyone who's ever struggled with making your body do something it has never done before. and this is just for training, which is only preparation for an audience. my alexander teacher always talked about ichiro, tiger woods, and apollo ono as examples of athletes to watch. when they used their bodies efficiently, they were at the top of their games. when they didn't, they were less spectacular. i need to read zen mind/beginner's mind.

here's my favorite, mysterious note from one of my mentors regarding slow tempo:
go deep inside and you will find many treasures there

gm - you move too much. you talk too much. you give too much. you constantly fill your time with activity and never take the time to process and meditate. what emptiness are you trying to fill? take time for yourself and recover.

4 comments:

Sean said...

I got your Suzuki...

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/GSX1300RZK5/Default.aspx

OH YEAH!

Sean said...

CAN YOU SAY... HAYABUSA???

Anonymous said...

my artistic soul? (forgive the nature of that question.)

forgive the Nature of all questions! your face says that it is not a matter of costing the soul, but of forgetting that you are of it.

anyways, El Richard, I really like the format of this page; its nifty. Except that you are *not* pudgey by any stretch of the imagination -- hey everyone, Richard is a chunk of excessively modest chisled woman-pleasing love mittens -- and also he is thinning not balding, just as I am.

Oh, and Richard, the pictures on the side of your journal crack me up. You look like a latino boy-band.

Anonymous said...

yeah jester!
welcome to my new home!